Socrative for Formative Assessment
Online tools such as Socrative, support teachers in setting quick exit quizzes, or to set more in-depth open questions to elicit deeper thinking. Any quiz which is created can be archived for future use, or shared via other teachers who have a Socrative account. You can develop multichoice questions (and select the answers), open ended questions, or even add a picture and ask a question.
At the end of the quiz, you can receive a copy of the results in a spreadsheet and sample PDF (see examples below) or anonymously show responses through the projector. The product is free and does not require student login.
Teachers - www.socrative.com (signin with Google Apps)
Students - m.socrative.com and then enter room number, or via the app
Creating a Quiz
You need to sign into the Socrative website to create and share quizzes. When you sign up you are allocated a class number, which is the unique code students use to access your online room of quizzes. Students complete quizzes by visiting the website m.socrative.com and then type in your number.
- Click on the button to Manage Quizzes
- Click to Create a Quiz
- Name the quiz, then click to add questions. You have two options, either an open question or multiple choice question.
- You can click on the correct answer and also give students optional feedback on each question. This is a nice tool to experiment with and give rich feedback.
- Once you have finished click the save button.
Delivering a Quiz
- Once you have saved a quiz, you can click back to the main screen.
- Click on Start Quiz
- Choose you quiz from the drop down
- Select the option of either Teacher Paced or Student Paced Quiz.
- Teacher paced is nice if you're using in class and if you want to stop and show the results mid survey. Student paced is good for quizzes that are focused on deeper thinking or longer multiple choice assessments. Either format gives you the same spreadsheet at the end.
- Once kids have entered the room using the m.socrative.com link and your code you can begin the quiz.
You have the option (if plugged into the projector) to either show or hide the results, once the students have begun. This is nice if you wish to stop and discuss the outcomes and link back to prior learning.
Screenshot of Quiz Results
Detailed instructions from the company are available here, or via video or with screenshots below.