The UWCSEA East Music Department hosted a fantastic event in support of EPIC Arts in Cambodia on Friday, 2 September. 'An EPIC Night: The Music Department Entertains' was a four-hour spectacular with five sections:
- calming, welcoming mbira music from Zimbabwe to open proceedings
- a classical music concert, with performances by almost all the Music staff and lots of the ITP staff
- a jazz quartet concert featuring gorgeous original compositions by our very own Eivind Lõdemel
- an unplugged section showcasing an eclectic mix of instrumentation including a stunning didgeridoo performance by Andy Ware and an ethereal gu-ch'in performance by Tippi Zhu
- the debut gig by the Kampot Pepper Blues Excuse, a soul band put together by the department especially for the evening.
The evening was great fun for the performers and audience alike, and raised approximately US$2600 toward the fund for a Music tutor at EPIC Arts.
UWCSEA East and the Music Department have been collaborating with EPIC Arts over many years now. EPIC Arts is the Global Concern (GC) for both Grade 5 and the Music Department on East Campus. They offer inclusive arts programmes to people of all abilities under the motto every person counts.
Thanks to all who attended and/or contributed to An EPIC Night, whether by performing or by running the bar, or by taking amazing photos or by running the sound and lights... or by any number of other ways.
By Mark Bradshaw
Head of Music
Photos by: Kazry kas Kazan
Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 13:15