Search form

BISP U15 football tournament 2016

CSS MenuMaker

BISP 7s, a 7-a-side football tournament held in Phuket, included a mind-blowing 1600 competitors from over 141 teams and 32 international schools, spread across eight different countries. This year's tournament was a great success and saw the East Dragons U15 boys reach 6th place out of the 16 teams.

Day 1 was good for the away team UWCSEA East in our first competitive match with a 4-1 win against Epsom College. Keiron scored his first goal of the tournament and opened his account while captain Aansh scored two goals. One own goal by the Epsom team helped the Dragons to increase their lead. The game against Dulwich Shanghai was a much more intense match. Our attackers struggled to get hold of the ball as Dulwich Shanghai kept possession most of the time. There were few chances  and the UWCSEA East held the opponents to a 0-0 draw with some solid defensive play. The last game of group D was between BISP B and UWCSEA East. Despite early chances from the attack and some composed build-up play, BISP-B took an early lead with a score of 1-0. UWCSEA East dominated the game with Nik and Tom showing a lot of fighting spirit. In the last minutes we were not given a penalty though Aansh was brought down in the penalty box. Although we lost our last game of Day 1, it ended on a high as we finished second in our group to play for the cup.

Day 2 began with a bang! The East Dragons beat BIPSS 3-0 to qualify for the quarter finals of the cup. It was teamwork all the way with contributions from Quinn, Ian and Jasper. They all helped the captain score three goals to give the Dragons an emphatic win and surge ahead in the tournament. The quarter finals match was with BISPO. It was a tough game and BISPO dominated with an attacking game. Kevin, our goalkeeper, played a key role in keeping UWCSEA East in the game by making fantastic saves frustrating the BISPO attackers. Eventually BISPO won the game 2-0 ending the East Dragons' march toward the semi-finals. All hope was not lost as a win against ISS would allow us to fight for 5th and 6th place in the next match. A less challenging game compared to the others as we easily won 4-0. Keiron, Quinn and Aansh scored the goals supported by their agile teammates with deft leg work and passing.

The last match of the tournament was between UWCSEA East and UWCSEA Dover! It was a major let down for East as they were down 0-2 at half time but the captain brought us  back in the game with a cleanly struck shot which flew to the roof of the net. Minutes later Dover netted another one to consolidate their lead at 3-1. But all hope was not lost as the Keiron and Aansh combination scored a goal to take the score to 3-2 and narrow Dover’s lead. There was a last ditch effort effort from our East team to equalise. They were awarded a free-kick just outside the box but were unable to score the equaliser. Dover won a well fought game 3-2.

It was an amazing tournament which brought the members of the team closer to each other. This couldn't have been possible without the help of Coach Harry, and the support of the younger ones. Thank you for this amazing opportunity,

UWCSEA East: Harry Orgee (Coach), Kevin Stanlake (Goalkeeper), Nik Mendez (Right Back), Hugo Howell (Left Back), Quinn Han Wong (Right Midfield) , Ian Lai (Right Midfield), Jasper BW (Left Midfield), Keiron Mongeon (Striker), Tom McLaughlin (Left Back) and Aansh Raiyani (Centre Back)

Go Dragons!

posted date: 
Friday, December 23, 2016 - 16:30