Check out the following interview with Coach Katia Fisenko, Swimming Coach at UWCSEA East Campus! Interview conducted by Jessica Pigram and Jilyn Seah, Activities Department, East Campus.
1. How long have you been involved in your sport/activity?
I’ve been involved in swimming since I was five years old as my dad used to be a professional swimmer, which sparked my interest in the sport.
2. Did you play or represent in your sport/activity? To what level?
I was a member of Ukrainian National Swimming Team and represented my country at European and International Competitions and meets.
3.What was your training schedule like? Did you practise every day?
My training schedule as an athlete was: twelve sessions per week, with around three hours of water training (twice a day). This was complemented with one to two hours in the gym (dry land training).
4. What is your fondest memory of playing/being involved in this activity?
Friendships with my team and coaches.
5. What unexpected obstacles have you had to overcome this in your sport/activity?
Unexpected betrayal and jealousy.
6. Why are you interested in this activity?
I love swimming and it has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I truly believe it is the best sport!
7. What is your current title and how long have you held this title?
I was a National Champion and held this title for 2 years.
8. What are your 3 greatest successes to date?
17 Nov 2010 - Became a National Champion which lead to being a member of the national team.
15 Jun 2017 - Successfully passed my final exams at University.
30 Nov 2017 - Became a swimming coach at UWCSEA East.
9. What is most satisfying about your work right now?
Making my students and colleagues happy!
10. What is the greatest challenge you have ever had to overcome in your career?
Working with disabled (autistic) kids to make them happy and believe in themselves.
11. What is the best advice you have ever received? What advice would you give to our students?
Believe in yourself, never give up, and if something unexpected is happening it is because it is meant to be.
12. Can you give us three words that best describe how you feel about your profession?
Challenging, emotional, valuable.
13. Who is the icon that has influenced you the most?