Careers fair - main page
Careers Fair 2018
Saturday, 24 February
10.30am - 2pm
UWCSEA Dover Campus, 1207, Singapore 139654
Opening session and keynote address
10.30am - Opening of the Careers Fair, Main Hall
10.40am - Keynote address by Linda Eunson, Eunique Solutions
Careers Fair booths
Exams Hall (High School Block, Level 5).
Conference Rooms 1, 2, 3 (High School Block, Level 5) and the Library (Level 2)
Dear students, parents and volunteers,
The Careers Fair is an annual event, organized by the Parents' Associations of UWCSEA, where we invite many professionals from a variety of fields to our campus. The aim of the fair is to provide High School students mainly of Grades 10 and 11 exposure to various potential career options as they prepare to graduate from school and face important choices regarding their future.
Careers Fair 2018 brings over 70 professionals to the Dover Campus, covering a range of exciting professions. Students can choose informal one-on-one chats at a booth or attend one of the wide range of panel discussions that should help provide deeper insights from the experience of our distinguished panelists.
To make the most of all the information available at the fair, we advise that students plan their time well and attend no more than two panels during the day so as to have adequate time for one-on-one interactions at the booths.
We thank all of our volunteers, parents, alumni and staff who have contributed their time and experience so generously to guide our students. Careers Fair 2018 would not have been possible without the fantastic support of the UWCSEA community.
Wishing you a fantastic day at Careers Fair 2018,
Careers Fair Committee
Suggested questions for students to ask professionals at the Careers Fair
- How did you first get interested in your line of work?
Training, education and personal characteristics
- What course of study have you undertaken? How relevant do you think it is to your current line of work? What course of study is best suited for this career
- Have you had any further training since graduating from University? Is there any ongoing training/certifications required in your field of work?
- Are there any courses that you particularly recommend for your industry/line of work?
- What do you look for when hiring a fresh University graduate ?
Your experience of your profession / line of work
- What are your responsibilities?
- Please describe a typical day at work?
What do you enjoy most about your work?
- What do you find most rewarding? (E.g., team work, the salary, travel.)
- What do you enjoy least about your work?
- What skills and abilities or licenses do you need to do this work? (E.g., teamwork, interpersonal skills, communication, problem solving, working under pressure, multi skilled, IT competency, certifications.)
- What does it take to succeed in your field of work?
- What is it like to work for your company, business or industry? (E.g., expectations, benefits; time commitment; conditions such as salary, health cover, holidays, promotion opportunities, physical environment.)
- How important are interpersonal skills in this career?
- How much of your work day do you spend interacting with other people whether co workers or clients?
- What are the biggest challenges facing a new grad who wants to pursue a career in your field?
Is it important to be part of a team in your job?
- If so, what kind of skills are needed by you and your co-workers?
Have changes in technology had an impact on the work you do?
- How do you think those changes might continue to affect your work environment?
- Can technology replace people or change the skills required to succeed?
- Is it a challenge to balance work and personal life in your career?
- If you had to start again, would you choose the same career / line of business?
Opportunities within your industry
- Is there currently a demand for this type of work or will employment prospects taper off in the next few years?
- Where can I get additional information?
Tips to help you enjoy the day
There is plenty of parking available on Dover Campus, or if you are coming by taxi, the address is 1207 Dover Road, Singapore 139654.
Please bring your UWCSEA ID card for access through the turnstiles for campus security purposes.
Food and refreshments
Food and refreshments will be available throughout the day and managed by various Global Concerns teams. Vegetarian non-vegetarian options will be available.
Sustainable event initiative
The PA is working to adopt environmentally sustainable practices during our event. Please help us make Careers Fair green!
1) Access the Careers Fair website on your mobile device to reduce paper usage. The website provides up to the minute information on the fair including the schedule and venues as well as the participants and professions they represent.
2) Carpool in order to reduce the carbon footprint of the event.
3) Bring your own water bottle. A number of water fountains are located around the campus. Please use these to drink from or to refill your bottle.
4) Bring your own mug, if you wish, to consume hot beverages.