All students are involved in annual grade expeditions from Grade 1 and above; these are at an additional cost. These trips contribute to the learning objectives for each grade. The approximate costs for these trips are outlined on the fee schedule and are billed separately as the expeditions take place.
The Outdoor Education trip costs include coverage by International SOS and comprehensive travel insurance as well as travel (with reputable airlines who operate confirmed schedules to our destinations), accommodation and meals as outlined in each itinerary.
Some field trips and events also ask for parent contributions to cover the cost of purchasing entry tickets, and to cover transport and/or material charges.
Some courses—such as IB Geography—require students to participate in a field trip in order to complete required coursework. These are also at additional cost; parents and students are advised of the requirement during subject selection. These trips are billed as they take place.
Technology is included in school fees
There is no additional technology charge at UWCSEA - costs for iPads, Macbooks and access to IT and other support (including Digital Literacy specialist teachers who assist the classroom teacher to integrate technology as a tool for learning into each classroom) are included in the school fees. This includes the 1:1 laptop scheme for students in Grade 6 and above, which provides students with Apple Support and an on campus IT Helpdesk as well as insurance. Students in K1 - Grade 5 have 1:1 access to devices (iPads and/or Macbooks) but these are available in the classroom only.
There is no additional cost for the majority of the lunch time and after school activities for students in Grade 2 and above. If we need to pass on the cost of specialist equipment, coaching or venue hire, these additional charges are advised at the time of sign up to an activity.
Students in the Infant School are offered a small number of activities each term, all of them at additional cost.
The following additional costs are payable by parents:
- provision of English as an Additional Language (EAL) support in the Primary and Middle School may be at an additional charge - please contact Admissions for details
- examination entrance fees for the (I)GCSE and the IB Diploma
- annual Parents’ Association fee (per family)
- some specialist equipment, such as required calculators for the IB Diploma Mathematics courses
- bus service to and from school is provided by a contracted transport company. Coverage is good but not guaranteed; costs vary depending on distance - the 2016/2017 academic year prices are on the following links: Dover Campus | East Campus
- canteen—students in Grade 2 and above can purchase lunch from the canteen; this is typically between $4 and $8 per day. In the Primary School, meals are pre-ordered on a monthly basis
- Instrumental Teaching Programme (music tuition) is available at an extra charge, as is instrument hire
- optional trips—a wide range of trips are offered to the students during school holidays. Destinations may include Australia, New Zealand, China, Swaziland, Cambodia, Vietnam, Switzerland, Spain, India, Germany, the US and Nepal. Non-compulsory field courses for subjects such as art and languages, as well as music and sports tours, are also offered