Student Technology Provision
1-to-1 classroom devices: K1–Grade 5
In the Primary School, students use individual iPads or laptops, which stay in the classroom and are not brought home. The cost of these devices is incorporated into the school fees and the College provides the following:
- Kindergarten 1 to Grade 3 students use individual devices
- Grade 4 and 5 students are provided with a school-owned laptop which is their personal device for the duration of the year
All students engage in age-appropriate collaborative learning and homework tasks. To complete and submit some homework, students in Grade 2–5 also regularly require access to a computer at home. Many of the online tools are accessed in the classroom at school and students then login to complete or extend their learning through homework.
Students build online portfolios in order to share their learning with parents.
Laptop ownership scheme: Grades 6–12
In Grades 6 and above, families provide laptops for their children to use, which they bring to school every day. These laptops must meet or exceed minimum specifications published by the College, and families have two options to source the laptop:
- use an Apple laptop that they already own
- purchase a new Apple laptop
The specifications are regularly reviewed, and details are sent to families joining the College as part of the on-boarding process that helps ensure students are fully prepared from the day they start at the College.
The College provides the following:
- detailed specifications of the laptop required, including insurance and warranty recommendations so that students can access on campus IT support
- onsite IT support, including a full Authorised Apple Repair Centre, for any technical problems with laptops (provided they have the appropriate insurance and warranty)
- all necessary software for all students. This includes any specialised software for High School students studying particular subjects, such as Music or Film Studies
- Ready Learner One @ UWCSEA sessions, which are attended by all new parents and students during orientation, to set-up laptops and establish shared expectations around use of the laptop at both home and school
- Can I buy a laptop through the school?
- What other laptop models can I buy?
- Why Apple laptops only?
- What is AppleCare+ and why must I have it?
- Should I buy insurance?
- If I damage my laptop, what support is available?
- Will the College provide all the required software?
- Can I buy a laptop cover or bag at the College?