UWCSEA strategy 2018-2023
The UWCSEA 5-year strategy was launched in 2018 after a collaborative process involving stakeholders from across the community. It is made up of a strategic vision and Areas of Focus. The strategic vision describes the aspiration of the plan. The four Areas of Focus are accompanied by an overview statement of our planned activity in this area. This overview statement is, in turn, further developed into action plans under connected strategies.
The Strategy is a living plan and is reviewed each year, both to assess progress and to adjust according to our changing context and evolving aspiration. College and campus leadership teams build their individual plans and projects to drive forward specific strategies over one, two, or several years.
In the 2020/2021 school year, key progress through the UWCSEA strategy included:
- Adoption of new UWCSEA Guiding Statements
- Extensive course and curriculum development for UWCSEA Grade 9 and 10 programme on both campuses, including First Language programme and embedding of Sustainable Development topics
- Development and delivery of on-campus Outdoor Education programmes
- Innovation@East initiative launched to stimulate entrepreneurial student activity
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion focus was ongoing, including commencement of a review of the written curriculum; the development and implementation of College-wide ARDEI plan; and continuation of a professional learning pilot programme to support different learning styles
- Sustainable Development topics were further embedded within the learning programme
- College-wide Languages policy agreed and review of EAL application review processes completed to create alignment with strategy
- Extension of environment-focused learning spaces on both campuses
- Sustainability mapping project resulted in launch of Sustainable Trip Planning Framework
- Recommendations of external Residential Boarding programme review embedded
- Community engagement plans implemented in response to COVID-19 impact, in partnership with parent community groups
- Professional learning programme in support of College safeguarding policy and practices extended to all associated staff
- UWCSEA Foundation renewal project commenced
- Streamlining of College policies management and review process
- Progress on Constitutional Review by working group
Our strategic vision 2018–2023
UWCSEA students will be equipped with the skills and qualities to become compassionate, engaged global citizens who seek to make positive differences towards peace and a sustainable future. To achieve this, a diverse, united and caring College community will focus creatively on student learning through a dynamic, holistic programme that supports individuals, their well-being and their readiness for an uncertain future.
Effective operational practices will provide for the College’s long-term future in Singapore.
Connecting to the UWC Movement Strategy: 2018 and beyond
UWCSEA is proud to support the overarching aim of the UWC Strategy, which is to increase the impact of UWC movement as a whole in transforming education into a force to achieve a more peaceful and sustainable future.
The UWC Strategy: 2018 and beyond, with its three key areas of ‘Seek’, ‘Educate’ and ‘Inspire’ was announced in early 2018. It was one of the guiding documents consulted in the process of devising the UWCSEA Strategy.
While the UWCSEA Strategy and Strategic Vision contributes most obviously to the ‘Educate’ strand, the College and our two campuses in Singapore have important roles in the areas of ‘Seek’ and ‘Inspire’ in order to extend the impact of the UWC movement as a whole. We look forward to working towards a peaceful and more sustainable future together.