Two photos were selected as joint first place, with several runners-up.
These photos were featured on the commemorative tickets that were issued for the UWCSEA Ball – celebrating 50 years of the UWC movement. The tickets had dual purpose, as they were printed on high quality paper as souvenir bookmarks.
The competition engaged the community and attracted hundreds of entries taken on our travels around the world – every continent except Antarctica was represented (although there was a photo from the Antarctica Centre in New Zealand), spanning the globe from the Polar Circle to New Zealand’s South Island.
The photos come with many stories, please find the winners and runners up in the media gallery. There are aso images of the bookmarks that were created as tickets for the 50th anniversary ball in the slideshow.
Thank you to everyone who supported the initiative and entered the competition.
1. Kaie Slater, Dover Campus - Laundry Man, Dhobi Ghat, Mumbai, India
2. Nilza Karmakar, East Campus - His Holiness The Dalai Lama and myself in my school uniform. The summer palace of His Holiness in Leh Ladakh (India) The palace has three floors with shrines on each. Downstairs is the Dalai Lama’s throne room or reception room. There is a shrine with many statues of Gelugpa masters.
3. Barbara Trucco, East Campus - An old farmer who I asked to hold the UWCSEA shirt. He has a beautiful and old tool to cut the grass. Trentino Alto Adige, below the Catinaccio Mountain, Italy
4. Viren Desai, Dover Campus - Arnav Desai with senior Indian Army Officers. 13,000ft high at Gulmarg Gondola, Kashmir, India within few km of the Line of Control between India and Pakistan.
5. Andy Cockburn, Dover Campus - Ayush Chodhury attending Lamdon School assembly. Lamdon School, Ladakh
6. Tina Callender, East Campus - Cate Callender, Krabi, Thailand
7. CJ Hwu, Dover Campus - Chase Baldwin, Kani Maldives
8. Paul Cobban, Dover Campus - Ewan Cobban and Ross Cobban and members of the Serengeti Maasai tribe. This was taken in the Serengeti in Tanzania where we met many of the nomadic Maasai tribe in their distinctive dress. They were very interested in the UWCSEA uniforms.
9. Mariam Doyle, Dover Campus - JJ Doyle IV, Jimbaran Beach, Bali, Indonesia
10. Camilla Wallner, Dover Campus - Juliana Wallner, Mountains of Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, Tyrol, Austria
11. Christian Werner, Dover Campus - Maja Werner at Arena di Verona, Italy
12. Cathy Pool, Dover Campus - Marion Pool, Sunflowers in France
13. Sienna Ross, Dover Campus – UWCSEA shirt at Stonehenge, England
14. Gisella Harrold, Dover Campus - Vincent and Antonia Harrold fishing on the Zambesi Rover, Zambia